SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
Connecting the power adapter at the X96 Air boots automatically, we arrive at a simple and quite clear launcher, it is valid for use with the default command by default, it has a lower row that we can customize with the icons of the apps we want. The installed apps include Miracast and KD Player, which is a version of KODI full of addons. The performance of Android 9 is very good at the desktop level or with heavy apps and works stable and without forced app stops.
If we are going to play and make intensive use of this model we recommend buying the variant with 4GB of RAM, if we want to adjust our budget and we are only going to use it as a media player we may have enough with the 2GB model.
- Launcher: As an alternative we have Pixel launcher to use mouse or Ugoos for IR control / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking NOT available / NO lower Android bar or upper bar.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 Pie (32 bit) / The system IS root by default / NO root menu.
- Support: X96 don’t have support site / Firmware available / Custom firmware not available yet.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The X96 Air TV-Box has eMMC memory for internal storage and DDR3 RAM, it has two USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section it has a wireless adapter Wifi ac Dual Band + Bluetooth 4.1 (X9655) and Ethernet 10/100 port. As we can see in the tests results are correct, we have an acceptable wifi speed in the 5G band and a normal range for a model with an internal antenna.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 29GB / NTFS + exFAT compatible / Expandable with a USB or SD external memory.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR3.
- Network: Basic speed with one internal wifi antennas / Range 42dBm, aceptable. / Bluetooth OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||21/17 MB/s||101/37 MB/s||20/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At raw power level the X96 Air this model has installed the Amlogic S905X3 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A55 processors and in the graphic section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU that is in the mid-range. This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly low consumption but as we have seen the cooling system is basic and temperatures are somewhat high in normal use.
- Check our Amlogic S905X3 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
- CPU performance: Min 500 MHz / Working 1,7ºC / Max 1,9 MHz
- Thermals: Min. 40ºC / Working 65ºC / Max. 75ºC / Maintains performance up to 92% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.6W / Min 2.3W / Working 3.6W / Max. 7.8W
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play titles such as PUBG with low settings / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.